Tuesday, July 26, 2011
am still working on my blanket strip project this summer; was making good progress but then I got a bit burned out...need to make 1 more medallion, attach and then finish beading around it. Am a little more than 1/2 done, its about 40" in length so far. Its getting a bit heavy on one side which makes it a little difficult to hold in my lap, even when its all rolled up.
I think I'm finally ready to get back to the work; final medallion should only take a day or two to complete. There's no hurry of course and time spent on this project means I'm not getting some other things done so I need better balance...I enjoy beading in the morning out on the back deck while it is still cool and my big Siamese cat loves to be out there, especially with me for company. Plus its easier to work outside with good light.
Monday, July 4, 2011
Each project has its own quirks and complications, particularly on the first try...I've had to make some adjustments to my project but its finally moving along. Initially I stretched the canvas in my large quilting frame as I did with Jameson's cradleboard cover, but this project is only using 3" of fabric and the house is busier in the summer; the frame is too large for this project and simply in the way of people and pets. So I cut the fabric down and placed in my smaller lap (11 x 17) frame, rolling up the excess fabric. This allows me to carry it outside to the deck (which is covered by a canvas gazebo and has lights, sound system, carpet and plants for a nice outdoor room) and also work on it from the couch.
I tacked down the rosettes and beaded around them with the larger, less precise dark blue beads that I've had sitting around for some time. I like the old time clunky feel of them, a good contrast to the other beads. I also used the dark blue to outline the strip and create a border (not seen in the old strips but it worked to help keep me from wandering too far out of alignment). Still have no ideas for any designs but am thinking and decided to use the light pink I got at Hobby Lobby for some contrast.
Strip is 64" in length with the rosettes covering 14", leaving 50" to bead...in two days I've covered 5" for a total of 10%....looks like this project will be slow going but I guess there is no real hurry.
Friday, July 1, 2011
I started my first blanket strip; have made 2 of the 4 medallions so far. They are 3" in diameter which is a bit small but they will become a little larger with a dark blue border. The hourglass design is common on the plains but the blue & white is found most often in Cheyenne and Lakota Sioux bead work; these colors were the first to be brought to the plains as seen in early Bodmer paintings of Mandan folks made in the 1830s.
I also purchased canvas and will stretch it in my large Q-Snap quilting frame, lightly sketch out strip dimensions (approximately 64" in length and 2.5" wide) as well as the location of any designs (still thinking about that), and then attach the medallions so I can bead around them.
The bead size 10/0 doesn't seem large enough to me, but the more traditional pony beads are more expensive. I wish I had ordered more colors too; so I picked up some 10/0 in dark blue and a very pretty pink at Hobby Lobby but not sure if I will use them except for the dark blue border. As this is a man's gift the pink doesn't seem quite right...have given some thought to ordering more beads, but 2 colors can be enough I guess and I'm too impatient to await their delivery. Perhaps the next one will be more colorful.
For more info on robes and their decorations see: