Tuesday, August 13, 2013

more thoughts on learning to weave...

I'm still considering my idea about learning how to weave...am trying to go slow, learn as much as I can and consider if I have the time and the money to begin a new project. I bought 2 books to get some basic information: Caroline Spurgeon's Weaving the Navajo Way and Noel Bennett's Navajo Weaving Way. Both are helpful but I like the Bennnett book as it has more on the culture; but they both offer good descriptions and pictures of how to set up a loom, warp and weave.
I have considered making a loom or buying one. Most instructional websites show students starting out on a small one, making "samplers" a miniature rug perhaps 20" x 20." I understand the need to begin small and learn technique, then gradually move to larger work, but I'm impatient and don't know what I would do with samplers except to make them into small pillowcovers. On the other hand a small loom is portable, easier to store and its going to take a long time to learn technique. But I think a medium size would offer more possibilities for subsequent use...on the theory I don't get discouraged and give up immediately!

My original idea was to make something I could attach Kaya's beaded whale strip to.....and a better understanding of 1st Phase Chief's Blankets seems to offer a good possibility! Interestingly 1st Phase blankets made in the mid-1800s were white & blue striped...this would offer a great background for a beaded strip and I can slowly learn how to weave while at the same time as making something useful. The Bennett book notes it is traditional for the first weaving to be stripes instead of intricate patterns, a good plan!So I think I can move ahead with this possibility...


No comments: